Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Fun Facts

I've decided to compile a list of semi-interesting facts for your semi-entertaining pleasure of our new life so far:

  • My face (aka wrinkles and dark circles and acne) look awesome and I've quit wearing makeup all together and using any face products.  However, the 79% humidity has NOT been kind to my naturally curly hair and I'm tempted to shave it off...but whatever.  
  • We can eat really healthy (healthily?) for really cheap... We've eaten mostly local produce and same-day fish for a fraction of what it would cost in the states (I'll be posting our itemized budget and expenses at the end of June for comparison.)  And Ty, the foodie, has already made his own hot sauce, salsa, black beans, salad dressings, fish dipping sauces all from scratch and has plans to make sourdough bread, dill pickles, and tortillas in the very near future.  (As I type this I'm eating tempura-battered white fish, black beans, cilantro lime rice and a fire-roasted poplano sauce... It doesn't suck to be me!) 
  • We've been drinking fresh-pressed orange juice every morning because we can buy 11 pounds of oranges for like 2-3 bucks and Ty's brother bought us a badass commercial citrus press as a going-away present right before we left.  Yes, please.   
  • Our perfect puppy LOVES his new home and that makes me so wonderfully happy because I was so worried he'd be too hot and out of his comfort zone.  Ironically, Ty has been the most miserable and whiney about the heat even though moving to Mexico was his grand idea.  He has yet to wear underwear (and rarely shirts) in the 10 days we've been here.  The heat has been a non-issue for me so far because it's only about 85 during the day and about 75 at night.  I can't wait to see how whiney Ty gets in July and August.... 
  • I can get fance lashes in Puerto Vallarta and for about half the cost as the states. Wooooot!
  • The view from our couch never gets old.

  • We're having our house cleaned (really well) three times a week and having our all our laundry done for about 44 bucks per month.  (Say, what?!?!  This is reason enough for me to never come home.)
  • It's surprisingly hard to buy good coffee in grocery stores here... The fields must be owned by corporate giants like Starbucks and McDonalds or it all gets exported or something, because it's mostly cheap junk here. 
  • The selection at Home Depot is disappointing!  And there are so many products that aren't even available here.  Did you know you can't even buy steel wool or Soft Scrub here??  Marianne asks guests to bring her items she hasn't been able to find in Mexico.... She has steel wool from Canada and we picked up Soft Scrub in Arizona for her on our trip down.  It'll be interesting to see what we ask our friends to bring us next spring!
  • Our feet have been really sore since we've been here... We're not used to walking on cobblestone streets in flip flops every day!  (I'm sure we have your sympathy, right?)
  • In an effort to acclimate to the heat and save energy and expenses, we have yet to use the air conditioner in our house... I've been totally fine without it, but again, whiney Ty is dying and gets annoyed if I come within a foot of him.  Snuggling is officially off-limits in Mexico, apparently!
  • Much to Bloo's dismay, he has learned to swim in the pool... He's always been timid around water when he can't reach the ground, but Ty's been calling him over to the edge and awkwardly pulling him in simply to cool him off.  He looks totally terrified until he finds the stairs and crawls out about 20 pounds heavier...because his curly hair is like a sponge.  But as soon as he's out, he starts running laps and acting cocky, like, "Mama, did you see I just survived the scariest ocean ever?!?!"  Needless to say, he's less trusting of Ty when he's in the pool now... 
  • AND JUST AS I THOUGHT I WAS DONE TYPING THIS POST....the biggest, nastiest cockroach I've ever seen just scurried across our living room floor!  I yelled, "NOPE" over and over again until Ty squished him.  GROSS.  
Happy Martes... And good night! 


No comments:

Post a Comment